Chocolate Dipped Almonds – A Healthy Kids Snack
Chocolate Dipped Almonds are an easy healthy kids snack.
Looking for a fool proof way to feed your kids something that is both delicious and healthy? Try these Chocolate covered Almonds as a healthy kids snack. You may just find your having to make batch after batch of these scrumptious choccie yum yum’s.
Not only is it a great healthy kids snack recipe, but because it is only a few simple steps to create, it’s a great recipe to encourage some parent, kiddy bonding in the kitchen too. Not to mention most importantly your kids will love helping you with this because they get to lick the chocolate bowl!
In regards to the sugar in this recipe, don’t worry because most of it gets washed down the drain after you have dipped the almonds in it. I have also used raw brown sugar. I don’t buy treats for my kids so it forces me to come up with natural goodies for them as a replacement. But to me a bit of raw sugar certainly beats the bought commercial treats which have loads of fats, colours, flavours, preservatives and sugar. Remember though when you buy the chocolate to dip the almonds in, get a pure dark chocolate without all the additives and extra sugar 🙂
• 2 ½ cups raw Almonds
• 1 ¼ cups of raw sugar
• 300 grams of dark chocolate
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* Optional, used for dusting after:
• 1/4 cup cocoa powder
• 4 cup icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees and toast the almonds for about 15 minutes. Keep an eye on them 🙂
2. Prepare a medium sauce-pan and mix in ¼ cup of water,the sugar and cinnamon. Place over a medium to low heat, stirring regularly until the sugar has completely dissolved and turns into a golden syrupy color.
3. Add the toasted almonds until they are completely covered with the sticky sugar mixture. Don’t leave them in the syrup for too long as they may get a bit soggy. It happened to me because I left them for 5 min. So transfer the sugar-coated onto a baking tray lined with a baking sheet. Spread evenly and leave to cool.
4. In another saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Melt the chocolate pieces in a small bowl by placing it on top of the simmering saucepan. Stir the chocolate constantly to make sure that every bit of chocolate completely melts.
5. Stir the cooled almonds in the melted chocolate mixture and spread evenly on another baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or until the chocolate has set.
Optional, mix in the chocolate powder and the icing powder. Put in a sprinkle duster thingy (sorry not sure what it’s called) when you squeeze the trigger it sprinkes like fairy dust the lovely chocolate and icing powder over the top of the almonds. The kids love this bit!
Notes, Tips & Variations
* Spice it up – you can experiment with a lot of spices by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper, nutmeg or even chilli to half of your mixture to give the nuts a burst of intense flavour.
Not only Chocolate Covered Almonds are tasty but also it is a very good food in terms of giving nutrition to your kids.
Almonds contain a variety of nutrients including magnesium, potassium and calcium and Vitamin E. Therefore, by eating almonds you can minimize the risk of heart problems in your family.
In addition to this, cinnamon is also a very good source of lowering blood cholesterol and cancer prevention.
In a nutshell (pun intended), chocolate covered almonds are a healthy option as a treat for your kids.