Healthy Banana Bread & Muffins
3/4 cup raw brown sugar
1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
1 cup self raising flour
125 grams butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (natural)
Half a cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Oil your chosen bread pan or muffin tray.
2. Melt butter with brown sugar in a saucepan over a low heat.
3. Once melted, leave the butter and sugar aside to cool down until the mixture is still liquid but not too hot.
4. Meanwhile add all the dry ingredients to a medium bowl.
5. Then add the sugar and butter mix to the dry ingredients and combine well.
6. Gradually add the milk in as you mix.
7. Next add your eggs, beaten, and the vanilla essence.
8. Once it’s all combined well, add your banana, which is cut into chunks and mix gently.
9. Finish by adding the remaining milk and a little more flour if needed in order to get the right consistency. The mix should be similar to a nice creamy thick batter.
10. Spoon the mixture into your greased pan and smooth the surface.
11. Bake at 160 Degrees Celsius or until lightly golden brown. Insert a skewer into the centre of the cake or muffins and if it comes out clean it’s cooked.
12. Pull out of the oven but leave in pan for about 5 minutes to cool, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.